Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The things I love...and a few that I don't

There are things I love. I'm not talking the deep and meaningful things like life, my family and such. I mean the superficial things that for one reason or another just trip my trigger. Here's a working, and in no way complete, list...

1. At the top of the list, today, is Facebook. I was perusing the activities of my friends (updated profile pics, posted items, etc.) when I saw that a darling friend of mine had a newly posted album from the work she does in Iraq (civilian, not military.) So, I started perusing. I can't help it. I live vicariously through her work in the Middle East. If she is reading this, yes, I think she is the biggest super-stud EVER!

As I was perusing, I came across the following pic:


I did a double take. I did a triple take. I thought, "can it be that my worlds are colliding? Is that a picture of Elisha with a bunch of military guys - and is that my cousin, John in the middle? Golly - it looks like him if he grew a moustache..."

So, I asked her right away - and sure enough, somewhere in Iraq in the middle of the night is a friend of mine laughing, too, because somehow our paths have crossed, again!

2. I loved the recent series, "Momma's Boys." Such mindless entertainment! I don't usually go for that kind of thing. First of all, most TV bores me. Secondly, 'reality' TV bores me more than regular TV. And things that bore me annoy me. Thirdly I just don't get into cultural phenomena all that much. It's almost as if the more society says I just have to love something, the less inclined I am to participate (mommy must breathe a sigh of relief to know that peer pressure has the exact OPPOSITE effect on me! - - may I be blessed to have children exactly like me!)
I can proudly say that I have never seen "Titanic" or "Forrest Gump" for those exact reasons.

So, leave it to me with the overdeveloped sense of propriety to get hooked on something as wacky as "Momma's Boys" - but I did. I watched the first episode by accident, found out that it was only going to be 6 episodes long, and got hooked. But I have to say a couple of things about it. First of all, I can't believe there is a population of young ladies out there willing to behave the way they were on the show. Obviously the show was after ratings and probably targeted the biggest low-lifes out there, but nonetheless. I really developed a love for the shelter I live in!

But I had to cheer when the good girl got the prize! Go Mindy for sticking up for yourself and yay to Jojo for making the right decision and picking the girl instead of your headcase momma.

The things I don't love?
My Nintendo DS Lite. I got it as a "thank you" for some volunteer work that I do. It was a grand gift, but after having it in my clutches and getting minorly hooked on "Virus Buster" - I've determined that it totally bores me. I'd rather get lost in my books and herbs. So, I'm selling it. Believe me - I gave it a chance. When I first got it, I just stared at it for days wondering what the heck I was going to do with it. Then my mom loaned me some of her favorite games to show me what great potential it had. I had a fun with the games a couple of times, but soon found that well, I was bored. So, I'm selling it. I'll be listing it on Craigslist unless someone near and dear wants it. It's a pretty metallic pink and almost unused.

I know. I'm a social anomaly. I'm not ashamed. :)

No comments: